Hi, my name is Nicholas Burch, and I’m a coffee addict.
It’s true. I really can’t live without the stuff. When I wake up every morning I look forward to the fact that I’ll soon be drinking coffee. I enjoy the ritualistic aspects it includes. I actually have fond memories of times with relatives no longer living that are based around having coffee with them. I’m sure my body looks forward to the energetic boost (more on that later) it can provide, but I truly look forward to the act of making & drinking coffee.
Thankfully, my coffee loving vice is healthy. In fact, with the scientific research I’ve gathered, I’m willing to say that coffee is the healthiest beverage on the planet. Shannon and I actually debated this very statement in a past episode of the Addicted to Fitness podcast (click here to listen). Below is several potential positive and negative impacts of coffee consumption. Take a gander and decide whether you’d put coffee in the friend or foe category.
- Contains the powerful antioxidant chlorogenic acid, which can reduce free radicals that damage cells (source)
- Two or more cups of coffee could prevent alcohol induced cirrhosis by up to 66% (source)
- Studies have shown that drinking coffee can result in a significant reduction in prostate cancer (source)
- Studies have shown that the caffeine in coffee can improve performance in endurance events (source) FUN FACT: caffeine was considered a performance enhancing drug by the Olympic drug testing agency until 2004
- Studies have linked coffee consumption to the reduction in the development of both Alzheimer’s disease and dementia (source)
- Regular coffee consumption can have a negative affect on dental hygiene (e.g. stained teeth, bad breath)
- Coffee consumption close to bedtime can disrupt regular sleep patterns (source)
- Excess coffee intake has been linked to hand tremors in a small percentage of individuals (source)
- Coffee consumption does cause an acute increase in blood pressure (source)
- Sudden elimination or reduction in caffienated coffee consumption can induce withdrawal-like symptoms (source)
Besides water & tea, coffee provides the widest array of health benefits of any beverage. As you can see, caffienated coffee can cause problems for individuals that suffer from essential tremors or hypertension, but even the consumption of decaf coffee has favorable aspects. It is important to note that the pros & cons listed above are based on BLACK COFFEE. Once you start adding sugar, dairy or dairy substitutes to the coffee, you can seriously affect its merit.
I could go on and on about coffee, but I would rather get your feedback. Love it or hate it, please let me know what you think of. We would really love it if you sent us a pic of your favorite cup of joe on social media (Facebook, Instagram or Twitter).
In addition to your coffee feedback, you can also contact us at email@example.com to take advantage of the complimentary fitness consultations we’re currently offering. Whether you need advice on nutrition or just want workout tips, I’d be happy to set up an appointment with you to discuss how you can improve your fitness.